Young Adult Education
Bring 3 Steps Detect to Your High School or College
For the past decade, we have delivered life-saving early detection education to young adults in high schools and colleges. Thanks to the partnership of our generous donors, our education is FREE to schools.
At DetecTogether, we teach students what they need to know with the help of real people who have been there.
We will introduce you to peers like Michael Bodge. Michael was 28 when he died of testicular cancer. Like many people, Michael did not know how to recognize cancer symptoms, and he was diagnosed too late. In Michael’s memory, we are teaching thousands of young adults what to watch for, how to self-advocate, and how to actively participate in their own healthcare.
Michael Bodge’s Legacy
Michael’s family believes that if he had learned 3 Steps Detect while he was in high school, he would’ve recognized that the pain he was feeling was a symptom to have checked out. Rather than wait it out and dismiss it as a sports injury, he would have called his doctor. In Michael’s memory we are teaching thousands of young adults what to watch for, how to self-advocate, and how to actively participate in their own healthcare.Michael Bodge Tribute Fund
Skills Learned Include
- Foster independent living skills
- Self-advocacy—knowledge is power, and you know your body best
- Communication—be totally honest with yourself and your doctor
- Teamwork—healthcare is a team sport and your role is important
Our high-impact educational offerings could include:
- In-person, video-enhanced, small group presentations
- In-person assemblies with cancer survivor panels
- Train-the-Trainer program: we provide curriculum and training for onsite staff to bring DetecTogether education into the classroom
- Live Webinars or Zoom presentations available for remote learning
- Full suite of supplemental learning activities and materials available; blend of synchronous and asynchronous – live teaching session, plus activities for students to complete in their own time
- Accommodate diverse learning styles
Training During COVID-19
We know that social distancing guidelines make group training tricky, so we will work with you to schedule small group sessions. DetecTogether is following all safety guidelines for in-person training. Our staff members are equipped with facemasks and will remain at a social distance during the presentation. If possible, we ask that this presentation take place in a large space or a well ventilated area to align with the social distancing guidelines.